Phylomon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests)

+4
ensimismada
digitalbio
Psi Wavefunction
davehwng
8 posters

Go down

Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests) Empty Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests)

Post  davehwng Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:50 am

A place for specific requests of images needed for specific organism types, specific card types (i.e. habitat or environmental scenarios).

In particular, if you see something here, if you can post in a blog, put on facebook, twitter, whatever mode of communication you can muster to spread the request then so much the better.

I'll start. I would love to see a few trees.

davehwng
Admin

Back to top Go down

Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests) Empty Re: Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests)

Post  Psi Wavefunction Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 am

davehwng wrote:A place for specific requests of images needed for specific organism types, specific card types (i.e. habitat or environmental scenarios).

In particular, if you see something here, if you can post in a blog, put on facebook, twitter, whatever mode of communication you can muster to spread the request then so much the better.

I'll start. I would love to see a few trees.

Oh no... I sat there thinking "How do you make a card with a phylogeny???" scratch

I could try and get my artist friend involved -- she loves drawing trees!

Could make some sort of anthropomorphised gnarled mossy oak (ie with eyes)...

Psi Wavefunction

http://skepticwonder.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests) Empty connecting with Encyclopedia of Life?

Post  digitalbio Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:39 pm

The Encyclopedia of Life, www.eol.org, has some kind of deal worked out with Flikr, so that people can post images to Flikr and they get used on the species pages.

Could there be some kind of collaboration between EOL and Phylomon? It seems like a natural combination.

digitalbio

Back to top Go down

Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests) Empty Re: Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests)

Post  davehwng Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:45 am

The EOL idea is a great one, and I'll definitely fire off an email to their staff once our website is live. They have a ton of creative commons tagged photos which are excellent, and it makes sense for some crossover to occur.

On another note, we really need some PLANT images and some MICROBIAL drawings! Preferably in a mixture of different styles

davehwng
Admin

Back to top Go down

Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests) Empty US Government works as resources

Post  ensimismada Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 pm

A reminder that any work created by a division of the US federal government is, by law, free and open in the public domain. Happily, that includes the works of:

Also, images from the Hubble Telescope are free for the taking from NASA. Nothing to do with Phylomon, but they make great desktop wallpaper!

Last edited by ensimismada on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : More links! More formatting!)
ensimismada
ensimismada

Back to top Go down

Post  davehwng Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:30 am

Woot! Our first tree! (link)

davehwng
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rageofanath Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:14 pm

What other environment cards do you think we will need outside of trees?

Ocean/coral/etc, mountain, desert, grassland, arctic? Should we define jungle-forest versus temperate-forest?
rageofanath
rageofanath

Back to top Go down

Post   naturalismus Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Free Public Domain Photo Database has really great pictures

Image requests (a.k.a. also card requests) Spider_3_bg_052203
 naturalismus
 naturalismus

Back to top Go down

Post   naturalismus Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:34 pm

We can also use the wikimedia commons database.
There are beautiful pictures:
Bradypus
Horses
 naturalismus
 naturalismus

Back to top Go down

Post  Forbidding Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:44 pm

What are some microrginisms that sould be in the game? I'm going to attempt drawing some since there seem to be none drawn yet.

Some plants I'd like to see:

White Birch Tree
Cape Sundew
Venus Flytrap
Common Bladderwort
Organ Pipe Cactus
Paddle Cactus
Artic Moss
Bearberry
Labrador Tea
Tufted Saxifrage
Caribou Moss
Red Algea
Showy Milkweed
Juniper
Ocotillo
Seaweed
Sea Anemone

And I'd love to see a Crown of Thorns Starfish

Last edited by Forbidding on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forbidding
Forbidding

http://Forbidding.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post   naturalismus Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Sea Anemones are animals ;-)
 naturalismus
 naturalismus

Back to top Go down

Post  Forbidding Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Really? Isn't coral also an animal?

What other environment cards do you think we will need outside of trees?

Ocean/coral/etc, mountain, desert, grassland, arctic? Should we define jungle-forest versus temperate-forest?

We really should difine the forest better. What about the rainforest having a conopy, forest floor, ect. will we break it up or leave it as a whole. The Forest could also be broken up as deciduous and coniferous. Will we define the ocean as a whole or break it up into things like deep sea? And we can't forget ponds and places in peoples backyards/cities where certain species may thrive.
Forbidding
Forbidding

Back to top Go down

Post   naturalismus Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 pm

corals are also animals, yes.
I think it's totally necessary to break oceans up into things like deep sea.
 naturalismus
 naturalismus

Back to top Go down

Post  Forbidding Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:35 pm

alot of my fave ocean creatures are deep sea like Viper Fish, Vampire Squid, and I believe the Frilled Shark too.
Forbidding
Forbidding

Back to top Go down

Post   naturalismus Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

de.wikipedia's featured pictures:
plant and fungus
arthropod
animal
 naturalismus
 naturalismus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paleo_Orca Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Also, Algae and Seaweed do not actually belong to the Plant kingdom, they belong to the Protist kingdom.
Paleo_Orca
Paleo_Orca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down