Phylomon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sub specis and hybrids

+2
Wootfish
scr280
6 posters

Go down

sub specis and hybrids Empty sub specis and hybrids

Post  scr280 Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Im wondering what the stance is on subspecis and hybrid animals are e.g. mules, ligers etc

scr280

Back to top Go down

sub specis and hybrids Empty Re: sub specis and hybrids

Post  Wootfish Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 pm

As I understand it, cards may be made for any legitimate species.
Wootfish
Wootfish

Back to top Go down

Post  davehwng Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Should still work. The latin name would need to be shown as a cross (i.e. Panthera leo × Panthera tigris), and if sterility is a factor, it would probably make it a not so great card (i.e. card disappears after 3 turns regardless or something?)

davehwng
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Forbidding Sat May 01, 2010 3:26 pm

I think only hybrid animals that would occur naturally should be made Wolf dog, kydog, ECT. But hybrids that would not occur naturally and be able survive with out human interaction should not be included, like Tigons/Ligers which often suffer from gigantism, dwarfism, depression, confusion, ECT. These animals also suffer severe and crippling health effects that would not allow them to live anywhere but a zoo.

In addition to the above any animal incapeable of reproducing (mule/Liger) is not a species.
Forbidding
Forbidding

http://Forbidding.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  davehwng Mon May 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Best is that we go with what happens in real life (whereby hybrids often compete poorly in terms of biodiversity for various reasons). Ideally, they should have cards (because they do exist), but that when played, their disadvantages are reflected.

davehwng
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wootfish Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Since sustainable populations of sterile creatures pretty much only arise from human intervention, perhaps we should say on these cards that they can only be played if each of their source species is in play and there's some sort of "Human" or "Breeder" or "Farm" card or somesuch nearby.
Wootfish
Wootfish

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCharles Tue May 04, 2010 4:57 pm

There would also need to be some gameplay reward/benefit to such a card. Since it requires three different cards to be played before it can come into play (using your example play which I think is reasonable), the difficulty of playing it has to be offset with some kind of reward, the simplist of course being an end game point bonus.

TheCharles

Back to top Go down

Post  Forbidding Fri May 07, 2010 11:57 pm

I can't imagine being able to throw hybrids in the game that can't compete with wildlife.

If we are putting hybrids in would we also put in color morphs? Like the white tiger which only survives in zoos, due to its white coat giving it away in the wild any cubs born never reach adulthood. And what about albinos?
Forbidding
Forbidding

http://Forbidding.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Monox D. I-Fly Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:27 pm

davehwng wrote:Should still work.  The latin name would need to be shown as a cross (i.e. Panthera leo × Panthera tigris)
It might work. Animal Kaiser did this also.

Forbidding wrote:But hybrids that would not occur naturally and be able survive with out human interaction should not be included, like Tigons/Ligers which often suffer from gigantism, dwarfism, depression, confusion, ECT. These animals also suffer severe and crippling health effects that would not allow them to live anywhere but a zoo.
Just make all their habitats be Urban, maybe?

Monox D. I-Fly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum