Here are a couple new mock ups. They take into consideration some of the feedback from others and more thought I've given it.
For instance, the positioning of the creative commons licensing data seems strange. Perhaps it should be down by the artist info instead? Maybe swapping places with the bit of text about habitats? And it seems like some textual reference to creative commons should be included as well as those icons, to help people who haven't heard of CC figure out what these weird little pictures mean.
Now they're moved to the bottom along with the artistic credit. I've simplified the habitat notation as well; now there is only one habitat represented graphically, while the others are simply text (near the middle left). I changed the climate back to text. By using words with a colored background, we leave one less thing for players to learn and remember.
Also, the space directly under the picture is a great place to put something that people will definitely see. So perhaps it would be better to put something that features more prominently in most rulesets there. Maybe -- and I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there -- the kingdom,phylum,class text and the organism's name could swap places.
I have left the taxonomy front and center, since I think it's potentially an important gameplay mechanic. If this turns out not to be the case, however, I agree we should move something mission critical to that position.
I changed the coloring scheme for the backgrounds of cards. Now rather than being colored by habitat, they are colored by Kingdom. This is helpful for a few reasons. First, we already have a graphical representation of a habitat, so that is mostly redundant. Second, it helps with diet. In concept I understand that a lion is a carnivore, but in the game there needs to be an indication of how this plays out (needs to eat animals, or members of the kingdom Animalia).
As always, source files are available upon request.