Some design schematics to highlight.
1. Fonts are all browser friendly (because we need this to work around CSS for both online viewing and dynamic printing).
2. Cannot overlap two images - hence solid backgrounds. Text over image (I believe) is o.k. at this point.
3. Top part of the card - name, latin name, and number for size/health?, and number with colour for food chain rank. I used the Clarendon font for this (not browser friendly, but because there is a limited number of parameters, we can make a limited number of buttons for this).
4. Image is at 2.4 x 1.5 inches (@150dpi) as stated in flickr submissions.
5. Immediately below image is the logo (however that may be in the future). Also thought I would include Kingdom, Phyla, and Class here (maybe useful for evolution themed or phylogeny themed games of the future).
6. Big blank space for flexible text (seems to be a trend in most trading card design layouts. This will be especially handy for all the organisms that do cool things, seem to be exceptions from general trends, etc.
7. At the bottom, is transparent silhouettes that will essentially signify biomes (sideways view) that organism is o.k. with (thinking setting things up so that there is room for up to three different biomes at once).
8. Bottom right is the artists name and website.
9. Bottom left is the temperature range that organism is o.k. with. For now, have gone with a pretty simple 4 word system.
Anyway, let me know what you think.